Hearty Slow Cooker Squash Stew
- Your favorite Dr. Kracker crispbread- we used Seeded Spelt
- 3 Tbls. oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 Tbls. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 c. dried chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves and stems separated and roughly chopped
- 1 piece Parmesan cheese rind, plus grated Parmesan for topping
- garnish with lemon wedges
Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until soft and golden brown; add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in tomato paste and red pepper flakes and cook another minute. Stir in 1/2 c. water scraping up any brown bits. Transfer contents to a 6 quart slow cooker.
Add chickpeas, squash, chard stems (not the leaves), the Parmesan rind, salt and 7 c. water to the slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
Just before serving, swirl in chard leaves and let cook 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Discard rind and ladle into bowls. Enjoy with grated Parmesan and lemon wedges and serve with Dr. Kracker.